- carwowco.uk reveals Britain’s favourite drives region-by region, based on the cars configured and bought through the site during summer 2015
- carwow users in the north clearly favour the Ford Fiesta, while those in the south prefer the Nissan Qashqai
- London’s favourite car as a whole is the VW Golf, while central London likes the Discovery, Knightsbridge prefers the Range Rover Sport and those in Canary Wharf like the Mercedes C-Class
- Glasgow drivers prefer something a little faster, with the 296bhp VW Golf R the most popular car. The Audi Q5 SUV is favourite in Aberdeen
- The Qashqai is favourite in Sunderland where it is built, the Fiesta is popular near Ford’s Technical Centre in Essex, while the Vauxhall Mokka tops the chart in Luton, where Vauxhall is headquartered
carwow.co.uk – the site for Britain’s new-car buyers – has analysed car configurations and sales on its site to discover that the Ford Fiesta and Nissan Qashqai are the nation’s favourite cars.
But the north-south divide appears to be alive and well, with those in the north preferring the accessible Ford, while those in the south would rather drive the more upmarket Nissan SUV.
Blackburn, Bolton, Carlisle, Derby, Durham, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle, Preston, Sheffield and more are all cities where the Fiesta tops the charts. Meanwhile, Cambridge, Croydon, Exeter, Guildford, Milton Keynes, Oxford, Reading, Worcester and other southern cities all prefer the Qashqai.
Interestingly, Sunderland – where the Qashqai is built – favours the Nissan, while all the areas that surround it favour the Fiesta. In Essex, where Ford’s Dunton Technical Centre is based, the Fiesta takes the top spot in Romford, Colchester and Southend. In Luton, where Vauxhall is headquartered, the brand’s Mokka SUV is top of the leaderboard.
Detailed maps of London and the areas around Birmingham and Manchester reveal different tastes across cities. Alderley Edge, for example, known as the home of many of Manchester’s Premiership footballers favours the Audi Q5 luxury SUV, while Manchester’s favourite car is the VW Polo. Birmingham’s wealthy Edgbaston area likes the Mercedes C-Class while Birmingham itself prefers the Ford Fiesta.
In London, the VW Golf reigns supreme but in Knightsbridge – home of the world-famous Harrod’s store – the Range Rover Sport luxury SUV comes out on top. On some of the capital’s most congested streets – in Central London – the Land Rover Discovery is favourite. Meanwhile, in Canary Wharf, where many of the nation’s banks are headquartered, the Mercedes C-Class is the most popular car.
Some cities in the UK clearly have more exotic taste in cars, with the top-configured car in Glasgow being the 296bhp four-wheel-drive Volkswagen Golf R. In Aberdeen, meanwhile, it was the Audi Q5 luxury SUV.
James Hind, CEO of carwow, said: “Every month we see just under 100,000 new cars configured on carwow.co.uk, which gives us a real insight to car-buying habits and trends across Britain. It’s great to see the majority of regions in the UK are driving a car with a British connection – the Qashqai is built here, much of the Fiesta was developed here and the Mokka, popular Range Rover and Land Rover models all come from British brands.”
Influence Associates was built to be the best automotive PR, motorsport PR and classic car PR agency in the world. With the most senior leadership team in the auto PR sector, we’re perfectly placed to deliver a world-beating service to our portfolio of blue-chip clients.
We are brand builders, content creators, reputation managers and strategists. With a team of ex-managing directors, global PR directors and national magazine editors, we go beyond PR to help shape the overall business strategy of all our clients.